Tuesday 13 May 2014

Chapter 44: Bridesmaids

Ladies, ladies... to be a Bridesmaid. Such a wonderful privilege and a great time for sisterhood, bonding and many laughs. If you haven't been a Bridesmaid before, you will one day. Next year, I will be my Sister's Bridesmaid. This will be my second time, as I was bridesmaid to my oldest Sister 7 years ago. Back then I didn't really have a clue about all of the hard work and efforts that go into a wedding. The dress, the colour scheme, the location, the hen do... but it really was one of the best times of my life, let alone the Bride's! I loved every minute of it and I can't wait to do it all over again! I like to think that this time round I have more of a clue about everything that goes into a wedding and I can't wait to celebrate Esther & Adam's special day! :).

However, not all bridesmaids share the same notion as myself. Oh no. If ever there was a better example to go by... just watch the film, Bridesmaids (2011). Starring Kristen Wiig, her character, Annie Walker, is bridesmaid to her best friend Lillian's (Maya Rudolf) wedding. She is one of many bridesmaids and faces stiff competition when Lillian's new friend Helen (Rose Byrne) comes on the scene. The woman can do NO wrong and it seems that Annie can't put a foot right. Nothing she suggests is good enough for any of the other bridesmaids. Things take a a terrible turn when Annie's true feelings come out and she's not so sure hers and Lillian's friendship will last long after. Will she be Maid of Honor, or will Helen make sure she's history?

I don't know why I am making that synopsis a mystery for you, as I don't know one woman that hasn't seen this film. It has to be one of the most funniest films going. Maybe I'm bigging it up too much because I love Kristen Wiig, but... you HAVE to see it if you haven't. ESPECIALLY if you are a Bride/Bridesmaid to be. The woman second from the left in the picture above, Wendi McLenden-Covey who stars as Rita, is by far my favourite bridesmaid of the bunch. The Stay-at-Home Mother living in a house full of men who is DYING to let loose and relive her youth by drinking, doing drugs and being an all around whore face - this woman is guaranteed to make you laugh! The brilliant thing about this film is that each and every one of these Bridesmaids represents a Bridesmaid or a woman on a hen do you have known. The Fireball, The Stay-at-Home Mom, The Maid of Honor, The Perfectionist, The Shy One and who could forget, The Bridezilla. I hate that term. People say "Bridezilla" like it's a bad thing. I'm not being funny, but if a man were to organise a wedding they would be called a "Dooms Groom" - IT AIN'T AN EASY THING TO DO PEOPLE! I'm talking like I've been married (I haven't), but I KNOW I'm gonna be a major stress head. I stress about what socks to put on let alone what type of dress I'd wanna wear! I'm pretty sure that after a while, I'd end up like this:


I can't deal with the pressure people! Ha!

Like I say, there are many pro's and con's...

Pro's
  1. You get to wear a beautiful dress.
  2. You get to go on an epic night out to celebrate (the hen do).
  3. You get to share all of the feelings and emotions the Bride is going through.
  4. Teamwork!
  5. Hair trials.
  6. Make-up trials.
  7. Choosing the flowers.
  8. Dress fittings.
  9. Meeting new people.
  10. THE BIG DAY
Con's
  1. If you upset the Bride - you don't want to do this.
  2. Trying not to fuck up the arrangements, e.g. the hen do.
  3. Trying to make sure everyone co-operates and stays on schedule.
  4. Not having a date on the big day (very American thing to do, me personally, I couldn't give a shit).
  5. Ending up drunk on the plane to the hen do and getting kicked off at the next stop because you're a Coach passenger trying to get in First Class and you convince all of the passengers that there is a Colonial woman on the wing of the plane.

All you ladies out there who are a fellow Bridesmaid like me, I'd love to know your thoughts. Have you been one before? Is it your first time? Please don't hesitate to share your experiences. Just contact on the back of here, Facebook or tweet me @triciabaxter.

This has been a fun one to write this week, peeps! So on that note, I will leave you with Annie and Helen's beautiful speech at Lillian's engagement party - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G33pDYaaG4M.

Oh! I gotta leave you with a bit of Wilson Phillips - Hold On.

Big love.
T.x

No comments:

Post a Comment