Tuesday 16 September 2014

Chapter 61: Basic Instinct

Sorry fella's, this blog isn't about the raunchy film starring Sharon Stone. I want to talk about something I have recently adopted to start off my week ahead. Yesterday morning I woke up and knew I needed a kick start to my day. It physically hurt me to peel myself out of bed. After getting showered and lying back down on my bed, I started to nod off again... with a strong cup of Joe in hand an all. I knew what I had to do... I had to update the songs on my iPhone to play on the way to work. When I used to have a longer commute to work I would make time in the morning to do this, but I had an incident recently where I updated my iPhone and somehow music was pulled OFF my phone. Since then, I haven't really had the time to update it... but I WILL make the time eventually.

In the meantime I have been streaming songs from YouTube and only one person in particular could kick start my day - the one and only, Dolly Parton. None other than 9-5. Now, this is a song that used to be played constantly when I used to go on cheesey nights out to Walsall. But this NEVER gets old for me and I tell you all now, she definitely set me up for the day. I then followed this on with Jolene. No amount of covers for this song will ever compare to the original. She sounds exactly the same live as she does on record.

I think the reason why Dolly always cheers me up is because she is a very happy person herself and ALWAYS sees the brighter side in life. Just look at her at in her interview at Glastonbury this year.

The person who got me on to having 'a song' on the way to work was my sister, Laura. She told me that she has one song she listens to on the way to work to get her geared up for the rest of the day and that's Pink - Raise Your Glass. She turned on the radio one day, heard it and that was it. Pink HAD to be her song. So one day she was singing away and I mean she was BELTING it out. She has the windows down, wind blowing in her hair, sun shining and shades on:

"SO RAISE YOUR GLASS IF YOU ARE WRONG, IN ALL THE RIGHT WAYS OR THE UNDERDOOOGGG! WE WILL NEVER BE, NEVER BE..."

So as she was singing she looked in her rear window and noticed a young girl behind her also doing the same thing. Laura even reckoned she had the exact same song on because she seemed to be in keeping with what Laura was doing. Laura even thought she might be mocking her cause it was a bit uncanny. They both approached the lights next to each other, my sister looked over. The girl looked fairly young, but I think Laura tried to hear what song she had on. All of that went away when she seen the girl take a big pick up her nose and eat the snot without a care in the world. My sister immediately looked forward and I have a feeling she doesn't make the time to put Pink - Raise Your Glass on, on the way to work anymore... I'm sure she has another song though!

The reason behind today's blog title is down to this: as soon as you get up in the morning, you instinctively know what type of day your'e going to have. You're either going to be like this:


Or like this:



Now you can either choose to get up like Bette here, or do something about it to help motivate you for the rest of the day. Dolly does it for me, what does it for you? Let us know what gets you up in the morning and sets you up for the day. It doesn't have to be music, it could be a film or programme you watched the day before, it could be a breakfast you're really excited to eat or it could be someone in your life that tells you plain and simple, "I know you don't want to do today, but you gotta grow some balls and just get on with it." Contact me on the back of here, visit my Facebook page by clicking this link, or tweet me @triciabaxter with the #9-5

On that note, I'm gonna round this up with Jamie T's new single that I heard last week, but when I heard it on a Monday evening in home time traffic, it couldn't be more fitting - sing it, Jamie!

Peace.
T.x

No comments:

Post a Comment