Tuesday 29 April 2014

Chapter 42: Who's Your Idol?

This morning on the way to work, I was driving behind a White Fiesta Zetec S. It was a nice car but I felt it was driving as if it was in The Fast & The Furious. Why though? We were only on feckin' Pages Lane and there was a car indicating left to go into another street. So what did the Fiesta do? Swerved around it like it was being filmed by a moving camera. When I eventually stopped behind it, there was a piece of writing that was stenciled on the boot with a quote, "'Dude I almost had you.' Paul Walker, 1973-2014". I thought it was pretty cool to be honest! It got me thinking though, it's really amazing how actors/characters/singers can really have such a hold over a person. I don't know one person who isn't really into one particular actor, character or film and if it isn't in film form, it's definitely in the form of music. You're either into one or the other or both. An obvious idol for a lot of women is Marilyn Monroe. The classic 'Pin Up' actress who paved the way for other actresses and women by showing confidence in self image and sexuality on screen. I have many friends who have canvases of her face pinned up on their walls and who regularly share her quotes on their social network feeds.


For men we have people like Paul Walker, who sadly passed away earlier this year whilst filming The Fast & The Furious franchise. Walker was in a number of films including Into The Blue (2005) and Running Scared (2006) but it was F&F that really soared him into fame. An action series about an Police Officer who gets heavily involved in his undercover work and soon becomes a part of the operation he is covering. It doesn't matter if this genre of movie isn't your thing, or you're not a car person or better yet a boy racer! I don't know one person who doesn't like the films. I've watched them all and love them as it was something I grew up with throughout secondary school onward.

It doesn't just have to be any of the above though, people have idols that they know and love in real life. Mine are my parents. Both such strong and loving people who have worked so hard their entire lives to help raise me and sisters into the people we are today. My Dad trained for a degree on the job when we were little. He taught us all how to draw and paint and of course, everything we know about films and music :). My Mammy used to work night shifts and then come home and look after us and later on in life, her grandchildren. Now she was my definition of "Wonder Woman". If I could be half the woman she was, I would be ecstatic :).

Whether we have Idols in our lives that we have had the honor of being in the presence of, or on the silver screen, I think it it is a part of what makes us who we are. Our personalities, our likes an dislikes, our general make up. People know me for loving movies, I know people who love musicians and follow them devoutly. People who love journalists, radio presenters, travellers. Who we idolise shines through in all of us. People who love Marilyn Monroe admire everything about her that makes her a woman. Her curves, her red lipstick, her flirtation. Everyone who loves Paul Walker loves his acting, how cool he comes across on screen and off screen and his general badassness. I idolise my parents because I have looked up to them all of my life and they have made me and my family who we are today; we are all strong minded, confident, have a zest for life, a good sense of humor and most importantly we have an unbreakable bond. My Auntie refers to us girls as being from "good stock" and we all know it :). To have an idol, is to look up to someone and strive to be like them. The Cambridge Dictionary's definition of this is, "Someone who is admired and respected very much." 

If I HAD to pick an idol in the film world, it would have to be Quentin Tarantino (which a lot of you already know). Uma Thurman and Shane Meadows. I have many others I admire, but I would say I look up to these three as idols. Shane Meadows is widely known for the hit film and TV series, This Is England (2006). If you haven't seen them, you're missing out. The film is great and I would recommend you watch this before the series. However, Meadows' best creation in my opinion is Dead Man's Shoes (2004). Definitely up there in my top 10 films of all time. A film about a brother out for revenge, this film will be sure to have you on the edge of your seat from start to finish. Here's a trailer if you're interested: Dead Man's Shoes, starring Paddy Considine.

I don't know about you, but if I see/hear a quote from a film, I HAVE to find out what it is straight away. So when I seen that quote on the car this morning, I tried NOT to read any further as it was clear a name would follow. So this week I thought it would be fun to give you all a little quiz. I write the quote, you guess the movie. I'd urge you not to use Google/IMDB, because 1. That would be cheating and 2. It's just better to guess! SO, here goes:

  1. "If you book them, they will come."
  2. "Do you know what the secret of life is? [Holds up one finger] This."
  3. "Ron? I have a name. It's Dorothy. It's not Tootsie, or Toots or Sweetie or Honey or Doll."
  4. "I'm standing here; you make the move. It's your move. You make the move..."
  5. "You're aiming high." "Why not? It doesn't cost anymore. Don't you believe in chasing rainbows?"
  6. "Hold on to your butts."
  7. "Your eyes are full of hate, forty-one. That's good. Hate keeps a man alive. It gives him strength."
  8. "Never hate your enemies. It affects your judgement."
  9. "So bright... so beautiful... ah, Precious."
  10. "I've always wanted to make love to an angry welder. I've dreamed of nothing else since I was a small boy."
  11. "Promise me one thing: don't take me home until I'm drunk - very drunk indeed."
  12. "We ride together, we die together."
  13. "These were Italian." "Now they're practical."
  14. "You jumped my bones the first night we met!" "We did it on the first date?" "Couldn't call it a date really, we just did it in the parking lot of the 7-eleven." "I'm a slut."
  15. "Oh, come on, ladies. God wouldn't have given you maracas if He didn't want you to shake 'em."
  16. "Strength and honor."
  17. "Where are you taking us?" "Mexico." "What's in Mexico?" "Mexicans."
  18. "You realise of course that we could never be friends." "Why not?" "What I'm saying is - and this is not a come-on in any way, shape or form - is that men and women can't be friends because the sex part always gets in the way."
  19. "How do I look?" "You look ready."
  20. "Let me tell you something my friend. Hope is a dangerous thing. Hope can drive a man insane."
Well... thought it would be something different for you all this week! Maybe get your brains ticking over, ha. Remember, NO Google/IMDB. Unless you really can't be arsed, in which case... GO AHEAD. Would love to know how you found the quiz and most of all, who your idols are? Contact me on here, Facebook or on Twitter at @triciabaxter.

Hope you all have a great week ahead and remember, it's important to have someone or something to look up to. Without that, what's the point in our dreams and ambitions?

Love love.
T.x

No comments:

Post a Comment